Microsoft DirSync on Windows 2008

After setting up the office365 domain and configured almost everything I tried to setup dirsync in order to synchronize my local Active Directory with the one on Windows Azure.

Microsoft stated that I did not have to install it on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 computer as the article with the minimum system requirements says so I fired up a brand new Windows 2008 Standard server for which I have the necessary license.

After installing the updates to the .NET 3.5 and .NET 4 I installed dirsync and set it up.

Everything seemed to be working fine, all the users could login to office365 portal with their credentials and they could  set up outlook without a problem.

When the users started changing their passwords the changes were not reflected back to Windows Azure!

I changed some attributes for a test user account (Name, Department) and the changes were reflacted to Windows Azure.

After many full sync and imports and pulling my hair out for a bit, I enabled logging using the Enable-PasswordSyncLog and got the following message on the log file:
A procedure imported by 'microsoft.online.passwordsynchronization.cryptography.dll' could not be loaded.

I decided to give Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 a try and everything is working fine now.

I should also mention that the english version of the minimum requirements article was different from the greek one, and there was stated that Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is required.

Popular posts from this blog

Syslog Message Collection for OMS from sources that do not support the agent

Generating Alerts On OMS

How to Configure Message Forwarding on a Mailbox Level